In April 1849 the land was purchased from the Government by Mr. William Easey. However, it has not been established when the earliest buildings on this site were built. The property was resold to William Grant in April 1850.
About 1850 on the portion of land fronting the Portland Road (Main Street) John Simpson conducted a butchery business from a 3-roomed brick nogged, plastered paling house, which would have stood where the forge is today. Also in business on this allotment was Vere Quaile, a blacksmith.
In 1852 the land was transferred from William Grant, by direction of John Simpson, to Vere Quaile. Vere Quaile’s dwelling (the present “blacksmith’s cottage”) was built of stone, containing four rooms plus a weatherboard kitchen. All trace of the original forge has disappeared.
In 1866 Vere Quaile left the district and Thomas Manly purchased the property and conducted his trade of Blacksmith and Wheelwright until 1869. During this time, Mrs. Kissock advertised in The Express that she was opening a school for young children in Mr. Manly’s cottage.
During the 1870’s, when Mr. Hugh Miekle Jnr. Owned the property, tenders were called (labour only) to build the present forge.
In 1890 Thomas Edwards commenced business in Miekle’s forge, he also was a blacksmith, wheelwright and coach builder.
Later, in 1893, his brother Charles and his family moved into the stone cottage. When Charles Edwards died his widow and sons carried on the business.
In 1961 the doors of the “’smithy” finally closed. However the daughter of Charles Edwards, Mrs. Caroline Simpson, continued to live in the cottage until her death in 1974; so ending some 76 years of Edwards’ ownership.
In 1976 the Bacchus Marsh Shire, with the aid of a government grant, purchased the property. The Bacchus Marsh and District Historical Society undertook to restore the property. Later, in 1978, they were assisted by the Apex Club which culminated in the cottage opening to the public in 1979.
The Society continued as caretakers of the property until 1992 when the present Committee of Management was formed. The entire contents of the cottage, forge and grounds were donated to the Committee by the Society.